YEAR 1 COURSE OFFERINGS
First year courses concentrate on developing a strong foundation in literacy, math, discussion, and written & visual communication.
- Most courses run for one semester, with the exception of Math and Visual Thinking.
- Students take Regents exams in Math and Science.
- Students begin their Career and Technical Education (CTE) sequence of courses. In the 9th grade, students take two CTE courses – Visual Thinking Lab and Introduction to Advertising and Media. In those courses, students learn:
- The principals and elements of design
- Drawing and color theory
- Microsoft Office with a focus on Word and Powerpoint
- The basics of advertising strategy and the creative process
- And more...
- Students visit the BMCC campus for special events and to utilize the college’s resources such as science and robotics labs.
- Students receive tutoring from BMCC honors society (Phi Theta Kappa) students.
- Students receive their first of many work-based learning opportunities including taking many industry-related field trips including visits to some of the premier advertising and media agencies in the world. Students also participate in special advertising competitions and take a critical media literacy course taught by industry experts from The Lamp.
- Students are eligible for special summer science courses at BMCC.
- Written Communication
- Purposeful Problem Solving